In Loving Memory
It is with deep sorrow that we share with you the passing of Patricia Daunais, our dear friend, colleague, and the founder of our firm. Pat passed away on March 21, 2022.
Pat’s contributions to the legal community were significant, but the contributions and differences she made in the lives she touched were profound. We will miss her beyond words.
Please click here to read her story.
Patricia L. Daunais, Q.C.
Barrister & Solicitor
Few lawyers enjoy a career as storied and constructive as Patricia. Over the last 47 years, Patricia Daunais has participated in landmark cases that have shaped the larger legal landscape in the areas of division of matrimonial property (Campbell v. Campbell) and on the defense of prenuptial agreements (Mastalerz v. Mastalerz and Tardif v. Campbell).
Her extensive experience has made her a sought-after mentor, and for over 30 years Patricia has helped new lawyers gain their footing in the field. Patricia views mentorship opportunities as a way to stay on top of her game and share the benefit of her experience with others. She enjoys seeing younger lawyers become competent and leading lawyers in the Calgary community.
Patricia is one of few lawyers in Alberta that specialize in both family law and will/estate planning, making her uniquely positioned to estate plan for blended families using a combination of prenuptial agreements/marriage contracts/testamentary contracts/spousal trusts/children’s trusts, in conjunction with wills, enduring powers of attorney and personal directives.
Patricia actively participates in various community and professional organizations:
• Past president of the Calgary Bar Assocation
• Member of the Calgary Bar Association and Canadian Bar Association
• Member of the Calgary Estate Planning Council
• Member of the Association of Women Lawyers
• Former President of the Calgary Estate Planning Council, Association of Women Lawyers, Enviros Group Homes
• Member of the Executive Committee for Fundraising for the University of Calgary Law School
In addition to the above associations, Patricia also lectures for the Legal Education Society of Alberta (and other organizations) on topics that include:
• Drafting and practise consideration under the new Wills and Succession Act
• Law and Practise Update – All Things Joint
• The new Estate and Administration Act
• Estate Planning for Blended Families
• Drafting Wills and Trusts
In 2012, Patricia was awarded with an award from AWL for leadership in the community.