Real Estate Law

Purchasing or selling a home is an exciting time, but it can quickly devolve into a stressful situation if you do not have the right team behind you. Our firm has over 10 years of experience handling residential real estate transactions and can confidently deal with a variety of residential real estate matters including purchases, sales and financing. When you hire a law firm to handle your real estate transaction, you are entrusting them with hundreds and thousands of dollars, we promise to work hard to earn your trust.

Our services include:
•Residential Purchases;
•Residential Sales; and
•Financing and Equity Takeouts

Why DM&H? 

We pride ourselves on providing efficient and exceptional client service and we give each file the same level of attention and care that we would expect as a client. We are not about doing volume transactions and you will never become another file to us because we feel it is important to build a lasting relationship with our clients. We will work closely with you, your realtor and lender to ensure that every transaction goes smoothly for you and your family. Contact us today to get started!

Real Estate Law FAQ

What is a Real Property Report?

A Real Property Report (RPR) is a legal document that shows the location of all permanent and major structures on the outside of your property. It will typically show the boundaries of the property, the location of the home, garage/parking pads, decks, patios and fences etc. It also allows a purchaser to know that the structures built on the land are in compliance with the requirements set by the City of Calgary. An RPR is typically required to be provided when you sell a home (with some exceptions) and therefore should be obtained and/or updated as soon as you list your home for sale.

Other than purchase price, what else do I have to budget for when I purchase a property?

It is often surprising (and not in a good way!) to purchasers when they find out that the amount they have to bring into a lawyer’s office to close a purchase is greater than what they expected. When you purchase a home, in addition to your cash to close or down payment, you may have to bring in additional funds to cover property tax, home owner’s association fee and condo fee adjustments with the seller. Also, you will have to budget for the legal fees, as well as other costs that are sometimes required, such as title insurance. We will always give you advance notice of how much you need to bring in and work with you to ensure you understand what the costs are to avoid surprises.

What do I need to do after I have signed a contract to buy/sell a home?

You will need to engage a real estate lawyer to assist you with the transaction. Once you have selected a lawyer, you will need to let your realtor (if you are using one), know who your real estate lawyer is so they can send the appropriate documents to the lawyer. If you need to borrow money for a purchase, you will also have to obtain financing through your bank or a mortgage broker. Once you have been approved for financing, make sure to let your lender know who your real estate lawyer is so that they can send the mortgage documents to your lawyer to prepare.

Our Real Estate Lawyers